Current Students

Student Resources

2014 Commencement

    Ask BTC

Commencement Forms

Important Dates

  • Caps, gowns and tassels available at the Bookstore
  • Beginning in May 2014
  • Commencement Participation forms must be submitted
  • May 16, 2014
  • Guest Tickets Available for Pickup
  • May 13. 2014
  • Rehearsal
  • June 24, 2014, 2:00 p.m.
  • Commencement Ceremony
  • June 24, 2014, 7:00 p.m.

Commencement application

If you are completing your program and wish to receive a degree or certificate, you must complete and submit a Graduation Application to the Registration Office, College Services building (CS).

Processing this Graduation Application allows the College to review your certificate or degree requirements, determine your final completion, and provide a diploma. There is NO COST for processing the application. Following verification of completion, you will be sent your certificate or degree diploma.

Participation in Commencement is reserved for students who complete the requirements for the Associate in Applied Science Degree or a Certificate of Completion of 45 or more credits from Fall Quarter 2013 through Summer Quarter 2014.

DEADLINE: May 16, 2014

Graduation Application Packet

Commencement Ceremony Information

Ceremony Date: June 24, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.

Mount Baker Theatre, 104 N. Commercial St., Bellingham.

Guest Tickets (no charge) are required for the Commencement Ceremony. Four (4) tickets for each participating graduate. Graduates will pick up their tickets May 13 in G Building; ID required. Other arrangements must be made by contacting

All Students who will complete a program of 45 credits or more by the end of Summer quarter 2014 are eligible to participate in the June 24, 2014 commencement ceremony.

Black Cap and Gown are required. Cap and gown can be purchased through the BTC Campus Store, beginning in May. Cost of Cap, Gown & Tassel is approximately $35.00. Tassel only is $8.00.

Information on Graduation ceremony photographs is available at

    Ask BTC

Commencement Forms

Important Dates

  • Caps, gowns and tassels available at the Bookstore
  • Beginning in May 2014
  • Commencement Participation forms must be submitted
  • May 16, 2014
  • Guest Tickets Available for Pickup
  • May 13. 2014
  • Rehearsal
  • June 24, 2014, 2:00 p.m.
  • Commencement Ceremony
  • June 24, 2014, 7:00 p.m.

Commencement FAQ

When is the commencement ceremony?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014
7:00 p.m.

Where is the commencement ceremony?

At the Mount Baker Theatre. The entrance is at 104 N. Commercial Street in downtown Bellingham. This is BTC’s nineteenth (since 1994) commencement ceremony to be held at the theater. Seating for 1500 graduates, friends and family, including plenty of seating for guests with disabilities. Metered parking in the downtown area is free after 5:00 p.m., and pay parking is available in The Parkade, located two blocks away at 1300 Commercial Street.

Who can participate?

All eligible graduates of certificate programs of 45-or-more credits and two-year degree programs.

Do GED recipients participate in the commencement ceremony?

No. A special June event is planned for completers of the General Educational Development (GED) tests. All GED completers will receive an invitation.

How long does the ceremony last?

About two hours. You must stay for the entire duration of the ceremony.

Do I need to attend the rehearsal?

Rehearsal is optional, but strongly encouraged. Rehearsal will start at 2 p.m. on June 24 at the Mount Baker Theatre and will last about an hour.

What is the cost to participate in commencement?

The only cost to participate is the purchase of a cap and gown for approximately $35 from the BTC Bookstore. Caps and gowns and tassels will be available for purchase beginning in May. Purchase your gown before commencement day, because it will need ironing. Bookstore hours are Monday–Thursday 7:30 a.m.– 7:00 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.; closed all college holidays

Do I have to wear a cap and gown at commencement?

Yes, you must wear a cap and gown. Graduates of one-year certificate and two-year degree programs wear black.

Can I rent a cap and gown?

New caps and gowns are only available for purchase. Used gowns may be found at second-hand stores. You can purchase a tassel at the Bookstore for used caps.

Can I march at commencement in June if I am not completing my program until August?

Yes. If you are within 12 credits of graduation at the end of spring term and plan on completing those credits summer term, you can participate in the June commencement.

Can I march at commencement in June if I can't graduate until the end of fall term?

No. You must plan on completing your degree by the end of summer term 2014 in order to participate in this year's commencement.

I'm earning more than one degree or certificate. How will that be recognized at commencement?

We call the name of each graduate once, and each graduate walks across the stage only once. When you register for the commencement ceremony, you will be asked to state the degree for which you want to be recognized. The printed commencement program, however, may identify all of the degrees and/or certificates you have earned (or for which you have applied) for the current academic year.

What is the deadline for me to decide if I'm going to participate in commencement?

Commencement Participation Forms must be submitted by May 16 in order to have your name included in the commencement program.

Will my name appear in the newspaper?

Your name will be published in the newspaper and in the commencement program unless you have submitted a Request for Non-Disclosure of Student Information. For more information about the Request for Non-Disclosure, contact the Registration & Enrollment Office at 306.752.8350 or by e-mail at

What is the marching order for graduates?

Graduates are grouped by academic program and march with others graduating from their program.

I want to sit next to a friend who is also graduating. Do I have to follow this marching order? Are there any exceptions?

There are no exceptions. Graduates who have a documented disability may be seated in a different location from others in their program. For example, a graduate in a wheelchair may be seated for easy access to the stage, but they will cross the stage with others in their program.

What if I need a disability-related accommodation?

A sign language interpreter will be present. However, if you or your guest needs other disability accommodations, you will need to contact Disability Services no later than June 3 so that appropriate arrangements can be made. We will attempt to meet a request received after that date; however, the requested auxiliary aid or service may not be available because of insufficient time to arrange it. Contact information for Disability Services is listed at the bottom of this page.

First-row seating space will be available for elderly and guests with hearing disabilities.

How many guests may I invite to Commencement?

Each participating graduate is eligible to receive four (4) guest tickets. Guest tickets are free and are available on May 13 in G building.

Who needs a guest ticket?

The theater requires that each person entering the theater must have a ticket, regardless of age (including babies and children who will sit on a lap). Mount Baker Theatre is part of the Bellingham Public Facilities District and is subject to policies of the BPFD.

Where do I pick up my tickets?

Tickets will be available in G building on May 13 only. (Other arrangements may be made by contacting

Can I get extra tickets?

After May 13, remaining tickets may be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

May I reserve seats for my guests?

No, seats cannot be reserved. First-row seating space will be available for elderly and guests with hearing disabilities.

Will there be a photographer at Commencement?

Yes. Photographer is GradTrak. A "formal" photo of each graduate will be taken, as well as one of the graduate crossing the stage. You can view your photos at

What happens during the commencement ceremony?

The ceremony includes the following:

  • Processional
  • Messages from the college president, member of the Board of Trustees, and ASBTC president
  • Recognition of scholastic achievement
  • Presentation of degrees, certificates
  • Tassel movement and Recessional

If I participate in the commencement ceremony, does that mean I have graduated?

No, you have not graduated until your degree or certificate is awarded and posted to your transcript. To begin this process, complete a Graduation Application and submit it to the Registration Department. After all program requirements are completed and final grades are posted, the verification process will begin. This requires eight to ten (8-10) weeks for processing.

Will I receive my diploma at commencement?

No. Your diploma is mailed to you after we certify that you have met graduation requirements for your degree or certificate.

When will my diploma arrive in the mail?

Allow eight to ten (8-10) weeks for transcript review/degree audit and mailing of diploma. Some delay may be experienced after spring quarter due to volume. If there is a hold on your account, you will not receive your diploma until the hold is cleared.

Where is my diploma sent?

Your diploma will be mailed to the address you provide on your graduation application. Please keep in mind that diplomas are mailed eight to ten (8-10) weeks after final grades are posted. Please provide an address which will be good at that time. Please phone 734-8348 if you need to update your address.

If I participate in commencement and then complete my program requirements in a later term, do I need to do anything to get my diploma (degree, certificate)?

Yes. You must submit a new Degree/Certificate Application to let BTC know that you have completed your requirements. A final degree audit will be performed to certify that you have met graduation requirements. After you have been certified as graduated, we will mail your diploma with an official transcript.

How do I get my degree?

Submit a Graduation Application to the Registration & Enrollment Office.

What should I do if I need proof of one-year certificate or two-year degree graduation before receipt of my diploma?

Order an official transcript and make sure to mark the appropriate box on the transcript request form indicating that you want your transcript to be held for posting of the degree. Your transcript will be mailed after your graduation date and credential earned have been posted. If needed, a letter can be provided to you to verify completion for potential employers.

If I lose my diploma can I get a new one?

Yes. The cost is $5 for the diploma and mailing. A signed letter of request should be sent to the Registrar's office listing your name, dates of attendance, Student ID number, and current mailing address. A form is available at the Registration & Enrollment Office and on our web site